We are currently looking for a Park Director for a start in august 2017. Below is a description of this position and details of how you can apply.
This position would suit a person looking for a career in non-profit management. We are also accepting couples.
Comunidad Inti Wara Yassi (CIWY) is a Bolivian NGO that, with the help of volunteers from around the world, works with wildlife and is a leader in increasing public awareness of the environment and its importance in its country. CIWY maintains three Wildlife Centers where it cares for injured or mistreated animals.
Founded in 1992, CIWY has improved the lives of thousands of animals in Bolivia and held campaigns and educational programs in all of the country’s major cities. The main office is located in Villa Tunari, in the Department of Cochabamba. It has an annual budget of $360,000 and a current staff of 20 people, Bolivian and foreign alike. Most funding comes from volunteers, current and past, with the rest being made up of grants and support from organizations such as Friends of Inti Wara Yassi, Quest Overseas, The Monkey Sanctuary and One Voice.
We are currently looking to rapidly expand operations in order to care for an ever-increasing population of wildlife in need and to increase and improve our educational programs. The organization has been featured in the New York Times and on the BBC, and has the support of the Jane Goodall Institute and The Monkey Sanctuary in England.
The Park Director is responsible for managing and supervising the financial management and administrative processes that support CIWY’s operations. The Park Director reports to the President and supervises the park’s permanent staff members. He or she also works closely with the park administrators of the other Centres and staff to improve volunteer numbers and financial sustainability of the organization.
We are looking for someone willing to help in multiple areas that at times may not seem to fit the assigned role. Since we are a small NGO, we work sometimes in an unconventional way to simplify the work and make improvements within the organization. The work is dynamic and not a typical 9 to 5 one may be used to. You will be based at Park Ambue Ari in Ascension de Guarayos, in the Department of Santa Cruz.
In this role you will:
• Manage the budgeting, financial forecasting, and cash flow for the park.
• Perform data analysis to help budgeting and marketing.
• Plan and develop projects and activities in accordance with the organisations mission, goals and values.
• Look for ways to increase revenue and at times collaborate with a British organization that assists us in raising funds.
• Represent CIWY in local community meetings and maintain effective communication with local communities, authorities and relevant stakeholders
• Maintain effective and regular communication with other parks and the CIWY President.
• Prepare monthly and annual reports on the finances and overall management and progress of the park.
• Charge the package that volunteers should pay upon arrival, which corresponds to their stay at the Park.
• Oversee employee contracts and pay and evaluate performance.
• Provide support to permanent staff in their activities and responsibilities.
• Ensure work is performed in a timely manner and in accordance with CIWY’s policies and procedures.
• Ensure monthly reports of coordinators are provided to the Director or President.
• Ensure staff and volunteers follow the park rules.
• Develop, review, and uphold internal policies and procedures related to both personnel and volunteers.
• Translate meetings, announcements and talks for the volunteers
• Write and translate documents (Spanish and English).
• Prepare quarterly submission for CIWY’s newsletter.
• Publish regular updates on the CIWY’s social media pages.
• Frequent travel to other towns and cities will be necessary for purchasing. Occasional travel to other parks as required.
• Shopping of construction material and food supplies in Guarayos.
• Design and implement the sale of souvenirs.
• Organize and attend the second hand shop.
• Manage the operation of the parks private café.
• Control the living conditions of the staff and volunteer accommodation.
• Be willing to help care for wild animals should the number of volunteers become very low.
We will want you to meet the following requirements:
• Either possess a bachelor’s degree in a related study OR have at least five years of experience in management or a related field.
• Be proficient with Word and Excel and generally very comfortable with computers.
• Be proficient in Spanish and English, both verbal and written.
• Be comfortable and competent at managing people in challenging conditions.
• Be innovative and eager to make improvements within the organization.
• Possess superior written and verbal communication.
• Maintain good organizational skills and willing to work in an international team.
• Tolerance and adaptability to work under pressure and in a sometimes chaotic environment.
• Be patient and be able to structure well the daily work.
• Economise even in situations of scarce resources.
• Decisiveness under pressure.
• Capacity to manage, communicate and work with individuals of different ages and cultures.
• Adapt to and respect the Bolivian culture and laws.
• Current international drivers licence (or ability to obtain one).
The Director must commit to a one year contract, working six days per week and one Saturday every 2 weeks, with 3 days off every 2 months and 2 weeks off every year.
CIWY is transitioning from an all-volunteer organization to one which compensates its employees financially. The organization offers a salary of 2000Bs. per month (approximately $28USD), as well as three meals a day and accommodation.
To apply, please email your resume/CV and a covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Friends of Inti Wara Yassi (FIWY) is our sister organization in the UK. They have been a major source of support since their founding in 2008. Find out more about FIWY here.
Quest Overseas organizes gap year trips for British and international students. Since 2001, Quest has worked with CIWY to bring much needed volunteers and funds. If you are interested in the programs they have with us, find out more here.