A new role within the organisation, we are looking for an individual to assist CIWY’s management with immediate starting date. This position will be working throughout CIWY's three Sanctuaries in Bolivia, as well as regular travel to Bolivia's main cities, but will mainly be based in Machia, Bolivia. Working in close coordination with the president of the organisation, this is a fantastic opportunity to be closely involved with the institutional development of CIWY.
Comunidad Inti Wara Yassi (CIWY) is a Bolivian NGO that, with the help of volunteers from around the world, works with wildlife and is a leader in increasing public awareness of the environment and its importance in its country. CIWY maintains three Wildlife Centres where it cares for injured or mistreated animals. The organization has been featured in the New York Times and on the BBC, and has the support of the Jane Goodall Institute and The Monkey Sanctuary in England.
Founded in 1992, CIWY has improved the lives of thousands of animals in Bolivia and held campaigns and educational programs in all of the country’s major cities. The main office is located in Villa Tunari, in the Department of Cochabamba. It has an annual budget of $360,000 and a current staff of 20 people, Bolivian and foreign alike. CIWY is also supported by UK based charity Friends of Inti Wara Yassi (FIWY) who helps to recruit volunteers, as well as raising profile and funds.
The Assistant to the President of CIWY’s role is focussed on supporting onsite and on national level, preparing information for official meetings, annual CIWY reports, gathering information of the three sanctuaries. Managing and selection of staff, artist in residence and internships, training new administrative staff, etc., are some of the responsibilities of this position.
Main responsibilities include:
• Assist the management in any moment
• Support, recruit and manage the staff, artists in residence and interns
• Train new administrative staff
• Gather information from the three sanctuaries for social media, projects and grant applications
• Create annual CIWY reports
• Coordinate communication with Bolivian government authorities, including the preparation of reports, attend institutional meetings, etc.
• Promote and support international and national activities
• Strengthen links with national and international organisations
• Provide constant support to the animal management areas
We are looking for candidates with the following:
• Be fluent in both Spanish and English languages, both written and spoken
• HR experience, preferably in an international context
• Financial management experience
• A strong, confident personality
• Understanding and sensitivity of Bolivian and international cultures
• Ability to work independently and as part of a team
• Flexibility to adapt to frequently changing priorities and tasks
• A knowledge of and passion for the work of CIWY
Candidates must be able to commit to a 12-month period minimum. One day off per week and two weeks of holiday yearly. The first two weeks will be as a volunteer in the work areas.
In Machia, Villa Tunari, Bolivia, with regular travel around the country.
2.100 Bs (approx. $305 USD) monthly. Additionally, we offer accommodation, breakfast and lunch.
Interested candidates should send a CV/resume plus a covering letter to email@example.com.
Friends of Inti Wara Yassi (FIWY) is our sister organization in the UK. They have been a major source of support since their founding in 2008. Find out more about FIWY here.
Quest Overseas organizes gap year trips for British and international students. Since 2001, Quest has worked with CIWY to bring much needed volunteers and funds. If you are interested in the programs they have with us, find out more here.